Gjergji Vurmo is IDM’s Programme Director and a senior researcher on governance, EU enlargement and security. He is author of several IDM studies and reports related to civil society development, governance and anti-corruption, EU accession process, regional cooperation in the WBs and security issues such as radicalism and violent extremism.
Mr. Vurmo has served as Steering Board member of various networks of research institutes in the SEE region (PASOS, BCSDN) and is a contributor for several policy research bodies such as Center for European Policy Studies – CEPS Brussels, Balkans in Europe Policy Advisory Group – BiEPAG, OnThinkTanks etc. He has monitored and reported on Albania for well-known global reports such as the Open Government partnership (2013-2018), USAID CSO’s Sustainability Index (2010-2013), Open Parliaments 2012 report, and Freedom House’s Nations in Transit (2018 – 2020). Prior to working with IDM, Mr. Vurmo has been engaged with various think tanks in the WB region for over seven years.
Gjergji studied law at Ss. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje and obtained his MA degree on European studies at the University of Bologna, Italy.
Languages: Albanian (native); English and Macedonian (C2, fluent); French and Italian (B2); Serbian & Croatian (B1)
- Deconstructing state capture in Albania (IDM, 2021, co-authored with Rovena Sulstarova & Alban Dafa)
- Policy Insight | Anti-money laundering in Albania – What role for civil society? (IDM, 2021)
- Tailor-Made Laws in the Western Balkans: State capture in disguise (CEPS, 2020)
- A credible new accession methodology or just a face-saving exercise? (CEPS, 2020)
- The uncertainty of EU enlargement (IDM, 2019)
- Violent extremism in Albania (IDM, 2018)
- The Western Balkans’ EU Dream: Ambition calls for a new process (CEPS, 2018)
- Religious Tolerance in Albania (IDM, 2018)
- Albania Progress report on Open Government Partnership (IRM, 2017)
- Religious radicalism and violent extremism in Albania (IDM, 2015)
- Developing a think tank: first-hand experience with core funding (OnThinkTanks 2014)
- What are donors, state and the civil society getting wrong? (IDM 2013)
- Civil Society and EU accession – Moving beyond the ” box-ticking ” practice (IDM 2013)
- Opportunity knocks: can the EU help Albania to help itself? (EPC 2012, co-authored with Corina Stratulat)
- Interest groups and EU accession (IDM 2011)
- Civil Society Index for Albania (IDM, 2010)