When: November 2013 to November 2014
The project will aim at supporting the Albanian Parliament in fulfilling its constitutional role in the field of security and defence
- Enhance the competence and expertise of the MPs for conducting effective oversight of the Security Sector.
- Strengthen the cooperation among the parliamentary committees with legislating and oversight functions on security sector.
- Strengthen the partnership between the parliament and civil society.
- Disseminating knowledge products and good practices.
- Raising awareness about international norms and good practices.
- Providing analyses on issues and problems that currently concern the security sector governance in Albania.
- Nine thematic workshops focused on the areas:
- Financial Oversight of Security sector.
- Adopting and implementing National Security Policy.
- State police reform.
- Oversight of the Armed forces.
- Human rights of citizens and security sector
- Freedom of information and protection of classified information.
- Oversight of intelligence services.
- Oversight of the private security companies.
- Oversight of special measures of investigation.
At each meeting, MPs will be provided with a package of publications relevant to the topic (handbooks, toolkits, backgrounders and IDM’s publications on security sector reform in Albania).
- Final conference, as the concluding event, that will present the lessons learned from a one year experience and the way forward.