Programme Manager (PhD Candidate)
Armela Xhaho is a researcher and project manager and her main interests are gender, migration, social inclusion, organised crime and good governance.
Before joining IDM, Armela worked as a PhD Research fellow at the UNYT research centre, coordinating all research activities and the ongoing field work with labour migrants and policy stakeholders in Greece, Germany and Switzerland. At the UNYT research centre she wrote (policy) research papers, reports and coordinated scientific related activities.
Moreover, Armela has over 8 years of experience in civil society sector and project cycle management. She has developed robust competencies in coordinating national and multi-stakeholder research projects and conferences, with solid experience in fundraising process, capacity building, quantitative and qualitative (applied) research, data processing and analysis. In addition, she has experience as a (guest) lecturer on social sciences courses, scientific board member, and local expert on issues related to migration, gender, social inclusion and transparency.
Currently, Armela is a PhD Research Fellow on gender and migration studies at the University of Groningen, Netherlands. She holds a MA in Gender Studies, a scholarship awarded from Central European University, Budapest and BA with honours in Psychology from University of New York Tirana/ State University of New York.
Languages: Albanian (native); English (fluently); Italian (average); French (basic).
- Sulstarova,R., Xhaho, A., and Agolli, M.(2020). Monitoring Report on Police Vetting Process. Tirana: IDM.
- Xhaho, A. and Caro, E. and Bailey, A. (2020). ‘Empowerment or double burden? Work, family and agency among Albanian migrant women in Greece’. Gender, Culture and Place (accepted and forthcoming).
- Xhaho, A.and Rama, O. (2020).Youth Perceptions towards gender equality in Albania. Tirana. Liburn.
- Xhaho, A.and Azizaj,E. (2020). The right to information at the local governance level: Training Module, Tirana: IDM.
- Xhaho, A. and Tandilli, A. (2019). Vulnerable Asylum Seekers and Irregular Migrants in Albania. Trends, Challenges, and Policy Solutions. Tirana: IDM.
- Xhaho, A. (2019). Human Rights Defenders in the Western Balkans: Albania. European Policy Institute.
- Xhaho, A.,Qirjazi, R.,Totoni, L. and Canga,L. (2019). Integrity Plan for Municipality of Patos 2020-2022. IDM.
- Xhaho, A. and Lleshi Tandilli, A. (2018). Prostitution in Albania: Behind the Rhetoric of Trafficking in Wagenaar, H. and Jahnsen, S. (Eds.) Assessing Prostitution Policies in Europe.UK: Rutledge.
- Xhaho, A., Azizaj, E.,Bruka,Sh. and Dhembo,E. (2017). Roma and Egyptian Community Development Plans of Tirana, Durres, Berat, Shkodra. UNDP-ESERE :Albania
- Caro, E.,Xhaho, A.,Dushi, M. (2017) Exploring Migration Experiences and Gender Dynamics through Biographical Interviews. Romanian Journal of Population Studies 1(1), 93-105.
- Xhaho, A. and Caro, E.(2016). Gendered Work-Family Balance in Migration: Albanian Migrants in Greece. In Ducu, V. & Telegdi -Csetri, A. (eds.) Managing Difference in East-European Transnational Families. Germany: Peter Lang Publishing.
- Xhaho, A. and Caro, E. (2016). Returning and Re-Emigrating Gendered Trajectories of (Re) Integration from Greece. European Journal of Multidisciplinary Studies, 3(1), pp.171-180.
- Danaj,S.,Caro, E.,Xhaho,A. (2015). Trade Unions in Albania: Struggling between legitimacy and worker’s rights’. Kerkime Gjeografike, FSHMN – UP, 18.
- Xhaho, A. (2015).’Nationalism and homophobic discourses in Albania. A case study analysis’,AG About Gender: International Journal of Gender Studies, 4 (7), 2015, pp. 58-80.
- Xhaho, A. and Lleshi, A. (2014). Explaining the Nature of Forensic/Criminal Behaviour in Accordance to Psychological Theory. Social Studies Journal 4(7).
- Xhaho,Armela: “Sworn virgins, male and female berdaches: A comparative approach to the so- called ‘third gender’ people”, Gender Questions, 1 (1) 2013, pp. 112–125.
- Xhaho, A. (2014). Albania gender inequality in workplace: expectations of femininity and – domesticity ” Haemus, 45-50.
- Xhaho, A. (2014). General Discourses on Relating Honor Crimes to Islam and Muslim World: Implications of Cultural Relativism and Essentials Approach. International Relation and Diplomacy,2(6) pp. 380-388. OP-ED
- Xhaho, A. (28 June 2020). Sa e përgatitur është Shqipëria për të përballuar flukset masive migratore? Gazeta Shqiptare.
- Xhaho, A. (25 Sep 2019). Sfidat e Shqipërisë, si korridor tranzit i refugjatëve drejt BE-së. Reporter.al